Hello, I am a teacher-researcher and the Co-Founder and Executive Director of the Centre for Civic Religious Literacy. I recently completed my PhD at McGill University.
I taught middle school in the Greater Toronto Area until I witnessed an incident of religious bullying in my classroom and did not know how to respond. Today, my research seeks to understand the phenomenon of religious bullying and find solutions to address it in the classroom, predominantly through religious literacy. This website details the knowledge, tips, and strategies I have come across. I hope you will find it helpful whether you are an educator, student, parent, or a member of the public. This site is updated regularly.
Recent publications include:
- Chan, W. Y. A. & Collet, B. (2019). “The “R-Word” Today: Understanding Religion in Secular and Religious Formal and Non-Formal Educational Spaces”, Wiseman, A. (Ed.) Annual Review of Comparative and International Education 2018 (International Perspectives on Education and Society, Vol. 37), Emerald Publishing Limited, pp. 43-50. Available here.
- Chan, W. Y. A. (2019). Averting intragenerational and intergenerational religious bullying in schools and in society through religious literacy: Québec as a case study. In Arweck, E. & Shipley, H. (Eds.), Young People and the Diversity of (Non)Religious Identities in International Perspective. (pp. 69-86). Amsterdam, Netherlands: Springer. Available here.
- Chan, W. Y. A. (2019). Québec’s Bill 21 may embolden religious bullying in schools. The Conversation. Available here.
- Chan, W. Y. A., Mistry, H., Zaver, A., Reid, E. & Jafralie, S. (2019). Recognition of context and experience: A civic-based Canadian conception of religious literacy. Journal of Beliefs and Values. Available here.
- Chan, W. Y. A., Akanmori, H., Parker, C. (2019). Addressing Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission for Indigenous peoples through religious literacy and spirituality: Unexpected pathways to peace education. Forum for International Research in Education. 5(1). Available here.
Two recent presentations/workshops include:
If you have any questions about the content on this site, please feel free to contact me. It would be a pleasure to speak with you in greater detail.
“Mlima hazipatikani wanadamu wanakutana.”– Swahili proverb
(Mountains never meet, but people do.)
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5678-7605
My recent doctoral research was supported by:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.