As a PhD candidate at McGill University’s Department of Integrated Studies in Education, I miss the classroom interaction with my middle school students but I am successfully making gains in my research on religious literacy and religious bullying — bullying that occurs based on one’s belief, and/or one’s actual or perceived religious or religiously unaffiliated identity.
As a teacher-researcher, I am passionate about the inclusion of all students and focused my previous research on how teachers can address religion in an inclusive secular public school classroom. My current research aims to support teachers by sharing existing practices on religious literacy in secular settings and support teachers and students through on-line and in-school religious bullying.
- “Countering violent religious extremism through education in multicultural Canada” (2015-2020), funded by SSHRC Insight Grant, Research Assistant for Dr. Ratna Ghosh
- “Educational trajectories of radicalized females in Montreal” (2016-2017), funded by TSAS, Research Assistant for Dr. Ratna Ghosh
- Comparative & International Education Society Religion & Education Special Interest Group, Co-Chair
- See Different at the Canadian Council of Diversity & Inclusion, Advisory Committee
- Religion & Education Collaborative, Steering Committee (2015-2017)
- Comparative & International Education Society New Scholars Committee, Knowledge Mobilization Sub-committee
- Promoting Relationships and Eliminating Violence Network (PREVNet), Emerging Scholar
- Citizenship Education Research Network, Graduate Student Representative
- The Canadian Network for Research on Terrorism, Security, and Safety (TSAS), Junior Affiliate
- Other affiliations include: American Educational Research Association, Society for the Scientific Study of Religion, Religious Education Association, Comparative & International Education Society of Canada
“Mlima hazipatikani wanadamu wanakutana.”– Swahili proverb
(Mountains never meet, but people do.)
This research is supported by:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.